Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Italian 'Sausage' with Onions and Peppers~Sauteed Fairy Tale Eggplants

One detail about this vegan's life is that I'm often out and about. Typical, I guess, for the New Yorker that I am. Especially on weeknights. I probably have evening plans more often on weeknights than say, a Saturday night. So unfortunately, that means I don't cook dinner for myself as often as I'd like to. This Monday, though, I had absolutely no plans, and was able to cook myself a meal. My friend Kate actually called later in the day and asked if she could stay over. She needed to be in the city early the next day, and it would've been easier for her to leave from my place than hers. I said of course! It was a pleasant impromptu sleepover. And she kept me company while I had my meal. I decided to go Italian-style for dinner. Here is what I made...


I sauteed some Italian Field Roast sausages with onions and peppers with some grapeseed oil. I've mentioned Field Roast sausages before. If you haven't tried them yet, you must! You will NOT miss meat eating this! Their Italian sausage is made with fresh eggplant, packed with fennel, red wine, garlic and sweet peppers.


I also sauteed some fairy tale eggplants with olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and sprinkled some lemon juice on top. Very simple. Very Mediterranean.


 And I served that with a generous helping of mesclun greens with olive oil, lemon juice, and chopped fresh garlic. I realized after pouring that I didn't have to put olive oil in the salad. Woops!Sometimes just lemon juice does the trick. And it's healthier!


I was pretty hungry, so I definitely had seconds, maybe thirds? I made plenty, though, so I still had some leftover for the next day. Not that Kate didn't help me finish the food by picking on some off the pan and my plate here and there!
 
That's all for now. Enjoy the rest of your week!
Till next time.
 
xo,
Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment