Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Fourth of July Vegan BBQ




Ahhh! So much to post about! Where do I start? I guess I'll begin at the 4th of July and work my way as quickly as possible to my latest happenings. Expect a string of updates real soon!

Ok. Ok. So...My friend Michelle works at Candle 79. If you don't know what it is, I'm glad to fill you in! It's one of the best vegan restaurants in NY. Hands down. It's where you wanna go for your birthday or that special date. Trust me. Michelle's friend and co-worker Dianne de la Veaux, bartender at Candle, was kind enough to have me over for her rooftop barbecue at her lovely place in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn! Dianne was really sweet; a great hostess and an awesome cook! Actually, she is aiming to have her own restaurant in the near future. After trying her lovely spread of vegan eats, I think she has a real chance of success! You may wanna remember her name!

So, okay. Let's get to the food! Here is what we had:


Marinated Portobello Mushroom Caps

Tempeh-Vegetable Kebabs

Grilled Romaine Salad and Creamy Cashew-Roasted Garlic Dressing,
 topped with Shiitake Bacon

Gazpacho

 Michelle brought over some corn on the cob and cherries from the farmer's market...

and this yummy Chickpea Pesto Salad from Earthmatters in the Lower East Side.

I brought over some Smoked Apple Sage Field Roast Sausages and this Beet Salad, tossed with white truffle oil, parsley, red onion, olive oil and garlic from the Brooklyn Standard Deli. This place is super vegan-friendly, and don't even get me started about their Cali Bagels!!! Will have to post about that sometime soon...I also brought over a  delicious Truffled White Bean Pate from Brooklyn Standard, but lost pictures (sob!).




Here's a pic of my first plate (among a few!).

Dianne also made a delicious Blueberry Ginger Kombucha!
I tried to get Michelle to look at me in the pic. Ah well!


Dianne also made an awesome Blueberry Nectarine Crumble
and an Apple Walnut Crumble


I know I'm a humid, summery mess but rather than look at me, look at this beautiful crumble!
Yum!


With Michelle and Dianne before (or after?) the fireworks.


I had such a great time!

Till the next post-which shall be very soon.
 Be well!
xoxo,
Ellie

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I was so happy to have you there. I've been checking out your blog, too, it's fabulous! Looking forward to more posts.
    -Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dianne! And thank you again for having me! I had a great time. <3

    ReplyDelete