Sunday, December 9, 2012

Vegan Post-Thanksgiving Dinner with Friends

 
Hey everyone! So, I'm finally getting around to posting today about my vegan Thanksgiving with friends! This year I co-hosted the dinner with Michelle, and the food was ridiculous!!

Michelle and I made a few base things for the meal, and the guests brought desserts, bevvies, and side dishes. Here is what we had...



To start, we offered some Pumpkin Curry Soup made by Michelle's boyfriend Rob, some Mulled Apple Cider (a concoction I make using only Yogi's Detox Tea), and Canapes of Veggie Pate on Crostini with Fig Compote.





I prepared some Breaded Seitan with a Rosemary Sage Gravy...




And my (sorta) famous Cornbread Sage Stuffing.



I also made a Red Kale and Mesclun Greens Salad with Pumpkin Seeds. Michelle made a fantastic Mustard Tahini Dressing to go with it..

..and I made Scarlet Roasted Vegetables, a recipe from Alicia Silverstone's book, The Kind Diet.
 
Michelle made her insane Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Chives. Cashew cream based, it's quite possibly the best mashed 'taters I've ever had. No joke.
 
And Sophia brought over some delicious Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms.
 
 
For dessert, Dania made a beautiful Pumpkin Cheesecake from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's book Vegan Pie in the Sky, and Sophia made Kabocha (aka Japanese Pumpkin) Pie and a Mixed Berry Cobbler Pie. Both gluten-free and from scratch! 
 
  
 Close up of the Kabocha Pie..
and the Mixed Berry Cobbler Pie.
 
And that was our dinner! Here are some more visuals for ya..
My first plate.
 
And Sophia's.
 
The hosts!
 
 
 

Before I finish this entry, I'd like to leave you all with my Cornbread Stuffing recipe. I first make cornbread using the recipe from The Kind Diet. It's really simple and sooo delish!

Cornbread Sage Stuffing:

Ingredients:
4 cups cornbread, cubed
4 cups whole wheat baguette, cubed
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
1 tsp(?) thyme (optional)
sea salt
black pepper
olive oil
1 cup veggie broth

Directions:
Grease an 11x7 inch baking dish and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Sautee celery and onion with olive oil.
Lower heat, stir in herbs, salt and pepper.
Gently stir in bread cubes and slowly add in vegetable broth.
Pour into the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for about 25 minutes.
Remove foil and bake another 5 to 10 minutes to brown the top.


Hope you're enjoying the holidays!
Till next time.
xo,
Ellie

1 comment:

  1. LOVVVEE it. Love you and LOVE that evening with our food, friends and dancing.

    ReplyDelete