Friday, August 24, 2012

Weekend with Friends-Dosas-Sacred Chow-Organic Grill




Wow. I'm so behind on my posts! To be frank, spending time with friends has been taking priority. They've been a source of nourishment for me and my life, and I so appreciate them! So today's post is going to be about some of that-how I spent my time with friends last weekend.

Last Friday, I started off the weekend by meeting with Kate in Washington Square Park, and I finally got to try food from the Dosa Truck!

You can usually find the Dosa Guy on Sullivan Street outside the park until about 4:30. What are dosas? It's a southern Indian version of a crepe. The "crepe" is fermented and made from rice and lentils. The inside is filled with..whatever! The Dosa Guy fills his dosas with all sorts of vegan goodies.

Kate and I shared a curry special he was offering, and a dosa masala.
Here's the curry special, with veggies and soy protein.

The dosas. Kate and I ended up spending only 6 bucks each!



After talking and laying out in the park for a while, we headed to Sacred Chow for dessert. We decided to go with chocolate. When do you ever go wrong with that decision, right?

We shared their Chocolate Truffle Cake (filled with raspberry ganache), topped with vanilla soy ice cream. We devoured it in, oh, five minutes?



In the evening, I did a show with my band Koshka at the Way Station in Brooklyn. I also did an unexpected solo set, which was exciting! My friends were there to support, and they were a wonderful audience. So grateful.







On Saturday, I met with Kneel for brunch at Organic Grill. What I love about Organic Grill's brunch is that they offer decent versions of vegan frittatas and omelettes. It's a great way to get your fix-without eating eggs! Kneel ordered their Tofu Rancheros with home fries on the side, and I ordered their Tofu Frittata....
Tofu Rancheros-seasoned tofu on a grilled corn tortilla, topped with daiya cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole and cashew chipotle sour cream.

Tofu Frittata-with soy sausage, yukon gold potatoes, daiya cheese, onions, roasted peppers and herbs de provence, topped with cashew sour cream and tomato.


After brunch, Kneel and I wandered the East Village and stopped in Lula's Sweet Apothecary for their usual decadence fix. We got their Peanut Butter Fudge ice cream, as well as a Sundae Cone-vanilla ice cream with bits of waffle cone mixed in. Good times, good food, good weekend.

Speaking of weekend, I'm heading off to the Hamptons in a bit to celebrate my best friend Sophia's birthday! There will be lots of cooking going on, so you can be sure there will be a post very soon about that! I hope that you all are enjoying the last weekends of summer. Be well.

xo,
Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment