Monday, August 13, 2012

Summer in the Hamptons



An old pic of me in Montauk.

Oh gosh! I'm about five posts behind. I promised a sushi post, and that promise still stands..but I'd like to start catching up with a little something about my weekend in the Hamptons!

My amazing friend David invited me to his family's beautiful place in East Hampton, and I had a lovely time. Now, the Hamptons is freaaaakin' expensive! Even the Farmer's Markets are double the price of what you'd buy at, say, the Union Square Greenmarket-so I brought some stuff I'd bought in the city and we prepared some meals while we were out there. Unfortunately, pics were not taken, but some notables were our awesome arugula salad with cubed Sunshine Burgers tossed in- along with avocado- 'cause, you know, avocado makes everything just that much more magical!

Another thing that David said was worth mentioning was that we used Gena's Outstanding Miso Sesame Salad Dressing as a base for the cannellini beans we prepared. It was indeed delicious! You can find her recipe here . Try it out!

One vegan-y highlight of our weekend was when we passed Russell Simmons (big vegan advocate) in our car while he was jogging down the road. We stopped and David called out, waving, "Thank you for your compassion for animals!". He paused, then smiled and waved his arms back at us.

And of course this vegan heartily appreciated sighting a cute chipmunk, rabbit, hummingbird, a family of deer, and horses! As a nature-loving city gal and an animal-loving vegan, that truly was a treat!

Other highlights include some places we stopped in while in town. One of the places was Twice Upon a Bagel. They had a nice selection of tofu cream cheeses, including Pear Tofu, Peach, Banana, Rasperry, Scallion, etc. Warning: Beware of the owner! He will push coffee on you! He's a funny character.







I got their Low Fat Apple Cinnamon Tofu Cream Cheese on a toasted Whole Wheat Bagel. Don't ask me what makes it more "low fat" than the other spreads 'cause I have no idea! Anyway, it was pretty dang good!

David had some Everything Bagel with his Plain Tofu Cream Cheese. No but seriously, the amount of tofu cream cheese they gave him was crazy! Still, we enjoyed our breakfasts very much. Mmmmm!




Later we stopped for lunch at Hampton Chutney Co. This place is quite veg-friendly. They serve South Indian dosas, which are crepes made from rice that are filled with all sorts of yumminess. David and I got the #4: Grilled Portobello Mushrooms, Spinach and Roasted Onions. I got their Cilantro Chutney to go with it, and David got the Mango Chutney.



The inside of the crepe. The ingredients were so simple yet so delicious!

Their Watermelon Juice went really nicely with our meal. Definitely recommended.



Had a great weekend. It was a needed getaway from the usual hot hustle and bustle of New York City in the summer. I will post again very soon about, oh, all sorts of things. I have a lot of catching up to do! Hope you are having a fun, delicious summer!

xo, Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment