Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Vegan Drinks~La Esquina Tacos~WFAS Fundraiser

I started this blog about 5 months ago, and I can't believe I've gone this long without mentioning Vegan Drinks! So, what is Vegan Drinks?  It is a social networking event where like-minded folks can get together, have a drink (or two), and promote their business, project, organization, just hang out, or whathaveyou! It is a monthly event that started in NYC in 2008, and there are now Vegan Drinks events in multiple cities. In New York, it occurs on the last Thursday of every month.


Vegan Drinks was the very first veg-event of any sort I'd ever attended, so it sort of has a special place in my heart. About two years ago when I first started exploring veganism, I felt that a whole world was opening up to me-but that I had no one to share that all with! I'd wished I had some vegan friends, so I found out about Vegan Drinks and decided to go there and meet some! I liked the vibe of Vegan Drinks, and I found the people very friendly. I heard someone once mentioned that it seemed clique-y. It's true that there are circles of friends there that can be pretty into one another, but they are usually pretty open if approached-so personally I would advise others to go ahead and talk to 'em! I've found that most people I've approached at Vegan Drinks have been quite welcoming.

 
 
 
Last month's Vegan Drinks benefited Vegan Outreach, an organization that aims to promote veganism as a means to end animal exploitation. These two ladies, Lisa from Mercy for Animals, and her friend, were there as representatives, tabling for the organization.
 





That evening, it was pouring rain-so there was not as much turnout as usual. Still, I saw a fair amount of friends. My best friend Sophia, who is at the moment going through her own journey with exploring veganism, attended her first Vegan Drinks that night!
Here's me with Dylan...

And here's my friend David enjoying some cornbread.
Yes they serve food at the event!
 
 
 
 
Usually at about 8pm, people are welcome to come up and say whatever 30-second-spiel they have to share to promote their groups, causes, etc. Here are some people that stepped up to speak:
Sarah Hill from vegetarian restaurant Terri.
 
Andreas Turanski, repping the group Veg Strong.
 
Ethan Wolf from Sea Shepherd NY.
 
 
 
 
There was very little food left later in the evening. So after the event, Sophia and I wandered, hungry, into La Esquina in Soho for some tacos...
 For about 3 bucks, you can get your fix at this veg-friendly spot. I got their Acelgas, made with spinach, giant beans, pico de gallo, salsa verde, and their Aguacate con Queso-minus the Queso (aka cheese). The avocado taco was the real winner. What I love about 'em is that they are served up with generous chunks of avocado! Other ingredients include black bean, pico de gallo and salsa verde....
 
 
 
So that was my night last month! This month-this Thursday actually, is the next Vegan Drinks, and they will be benefiting Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary! If you don't know about this amazing organization yet, you can refer to one of my older posts here . My friend Rachel is doing a lot of organizing for this event, and she is a great host, so you can count on a good time! There will be food, music, good peeps, and cool raffle prizes-including a night's stay at WFAS's Bed and Breakfast, an astrology reading, a Vaute Couture shirt, a gift certificate from V-Spot..the list goes on! I will be there helping them sell raffle tickets, so don't be shy-come find me and win some prizes! For more complete details on the event, check out this link:
 
 
xo,
Ellie 


No comments:

Post a Comment