Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Goodbye, 101 Eckford Street!

A couple 'lounging' on a typical summer day in Mc Carren Park
 
Ahhhh, Brooklyn! I'd say farewell, but I'll probably still be around. In fact, I already still am around! Even so..I wanted to say some goodbyes during my last days as an actual resident. I've moved to (gasp!) Jersey City, and I decided to do some last rituals;hit up some spots once more before leaving. I'm going to miss the middle-aged man who drives around Driggs and Bedford, blasting music, singing along on nice sunny days! I'm even gonna miss seeing the man who lives across the street from my old apartment always stick his feet up to the window. I told the roomie Lauren that and she said, "Eww, don't!"
 
Anyway...
 
One last morning, I went to Brooklyn Standard to order their amazing Cali Bagel on a toasted whole wheat bagel. This deli is great. Their Jerked Seitan sandwiches and Portobello Mushroom sandwiches (ask for it vegan!) are also very good.

 
Their Cali Bagel is made with tofutti cream cheese, 'sausage', jalapeno peppers,
 roasted tomatoes, and basil. 
 
 
Since my good friend Shaliga is only two stops away on the G train, we'd periodically have sleepovers. We met for one more Brooklyn sleepover/hangout.We headed to Paulie Gee's for some pizzas. While waiting for a seat ('cause it's always busy there), we had some fantastic pumpkin beer at nearby Brouwerij Lane.
 
When we were seated, we started with their The Gates of Eden salad. I like to sub their gorgonzola cheese with their house-made cashew ricotta cheese. It's so delish!
 
We shared their Vegan Shmoogula (italian tomatoes, baby arugula, olive oil, post oven nutritional yeast and mild aleppo chili oil)...
 
..and their In Ricotta da Vegan (italian tomatoes, house made vegan fennel sausage, post oven house made cashew ricotta dollops, baby arugula and extra virgin olive oil).
 
 
We then headed back to my place, stopping at a store for some Steve's Ice Cream.
 
Their stuff is so amazing! We got the Cinnamon Coffee flavored one, which is one of my favorites.
 
 

We watched a silly movie before passing out, then made brunch in the morning...
With some leftover pizza, we had some tofu scramble with broccoli, and a mesclun green salad.
 
 
 
 
 
That was how I kicked off my last weekend in Brooklyn, followed by a Halloween outing, then one last open mike at Pete's Candy Store (as a local), then...the hurricane. I plan to cover more vegan details about all those events in continuing posts very soon.
 
Stay warm everyone!
xo,
Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment