Wednesday, November 21, 2012

What to Eat Instead of Turkey?

Hey everyone! I've been meaning to post, but being busy with work and soooooo tired has gotten in the way. Today, I'm making a quick post during lunch break to share what I've alternatively served at Thanksgiving dinners to replace the "big dead bird".

I tend to go for meat substitutes, and seitan is great for that. On my first vegan Thanksgiving, I made Candle 79's famous Seitan Piccata. You can find the recipe in Alicia Silverstone's amazing book "The Kind Diet", or in Candle 79's beautiful cookbook. There are also plenty of sites online that share the recipe, like this one: Candle 79's Seitan Piccata Recipe on Veg News

An elegant choice that is sure to please..


Last year, I found this amaaaazing recipe online for  breaded seitan. I served it with some cranberry sauce (a simple but excellent recipe I also got from Alicia's book). This year I will serve it again, but with a lovely rosemary and sage gravy that was served at Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary's Thanksliving event. Chef Kevin Archer was kind enough to share the recipe with me. Thanks, Kevin!! This recipe is a real crowd pleaser, and great to serve to meat-eaters. 

Breaded Seitan

Ingredients

  • 1 (8 ounce) package seitan
  • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons tamari
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions

  1. In a small bowl, combine nutritional yeast, garlic powder, coriander, cumin, and black pepper. Dip seitan in tamari, then in the yeast and spice mixture. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry seitan in batches until browned on all sides. 
 It's so simple, and easy to make!

Now, those of you who know me well know that I'm crazy about Field Roast sausages. I've been bringing them over to my family's place on actual Thanksgiving Day. Some relatives asked to take a bite, and were surprised that it wasn't meat! Field Roast also makes a Celebration Roast. Here's how they describe it: "We start with a rich and savory sausage-style stuffing made from Field Roast grain meat, fresh cut butternut squash, mushrooms and granny smith apples seasoned with a blend of rosemary, thyme and sage. We then surround the stuffing with our most luxuriant grain meat seasoned with rubbed sage, garlic and lemon juice". I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds delicious! 


What will you be having on Thanksgiving?
xo,
Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment