Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pumpkin Soup



Apparently the season for pumpkins has ended? A friend said she couldn't find them in her local store. Still, even though I've delayed, I'd like to post today about something I made with the pumpkin I picked during my excursion at a farm with friends in October.

I love enjoying the smell of a freshly cut pumpkin! And I love to scoop out the seeds and roast them with sea salt! And that's just what I did. I halved the pumpkin and made soup with one half, and I planned to make pumpkin curry with the other half, but alas, the other half rotted before I could! I will probably make pumpkin curry soon anyway with canned puree. For now, I'm going to share with you how I made what I call "Happy Soup".

When I was in college, my boyfriend and I made this soup from scratch. It was so incredibly aromatic, warming, comforting and delicious, I'd jovially named it "Happy Soup". It's made with Asian elements, such as cilantro, basil and coconut milk. It's very simple to make, and does not involve a food processor!

 
I quartered the pumpkin and roasted it with olive oil and salt and pepper, then scooped out the insides and put it in a pot.

Continually stirring,  I gradually added generous amounts of cilantro, basil, coconut milk, black pepper, and water (optionally veg broth). Garlic powder is optional. You could also use fresh garlic and/or ginger and sautee with olive oil first. And of course, use sea salt to taste. 

Guaranteed to warm your fall/winter night.

Don't forget to roast the seeds, too!

xo,
Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment