Friday, November 23, 2012

Vegan Thanksgiving with Cinnamon Snail

Hey everyone! I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving with family and friends! I know I have a lot to be grateful for. I feel rich with the friends and music and happiness I have in my life!

This year I celebrated with my dad and took the trek out to Stony Brook, Long Island. On the way there, I stopped in Manhattan's Flat Iron district to pick up our pre-ordered dinner from Cinnamon Snail. Yep! Cinnamon Snail offered a kick-ass Thanksgiving menu this year, and I was glad to partake!

NYC Vegans. We be many.
 
Even though everyone showed up with pre-orders, the lines were crazy, spiraling around the block! We were separated by alphabetical order. I waited for about 45 minutes. It was a bit of a pain, but it was so cool to see how many enthusiastic vegans were there to get their Cinnamon on!
 
 
 
Here's what we ordered:  Pecan Sage Crusted Seitan with Smoked Garlic Gravy, Rosemary Root Vegetable Puree, Lemon Mustard Marinated Kale, Grilled Fennel Cornbread Stuffing and Cranberry Orange Relish.
 
Everything was absolutely delicious! However..I daresay I make a better cornbread stuffing (recipe to come soon?). But the rest of the meal..the smoky gravy..the root veggies, the cranberry relish on the lemony kale..were all so impressive, and full of flavors to savor! It was my dad's first vegan Thanksgiving dinner. And he seemed to genuinely enjoy it!
 
 
Then came the part of the meal my dad and I eagerly anticipated-dessert! We got the Pumpkin Chiffon Pie, made with pumpkin (of course), rum, cashew cream, and coconut milk. With a gingersnap crust and toasted coconut on top. Apparently it took the chef over a dozen years to perfect. It may have been the best pumpkin pie I've ever tasted!
 
We enjoyed the pie with some green tea, watched movies and my dad lended me a book on the history of Sicily (half of my heritage) before I hit the road. And that was my vegan Thanksgiving!
 
More updates to come soon (festvities are not over yet)!
Till then.
xo,
Ellie
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment