Sunday, April 15, 2012

Avocado Pasta

Avocados are my absolute favorite food.
My Facebook screen name ain't "AvocadoMama" for nothin'!

I love avocados so much, I eat them straight with a spoon.

I love them so much, an ex used to bring them to me as presents.

I love them so much, in college I made a pasta sauce out of mashed avocados.
People thought it was strange, but I thought it worked-and I LOVED it.

So friends, here is a grown-up version of what I made oh-so-many a late night in college:
My Avocado Pasta:

Ingredients:
Whole wheat/Spelt/Brown Rice pasta
1 avocado
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (you don't want to skip this ingredient!)
1/2 teaspoon(?) coarsely chopped basil (i threw the basil in before measuring-oops! sorry.)
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

This is the pasta I went with..


A note about wheat: Whole wheat pasta tastes good, but with all the wheat products that are out there, overconsumption has become an issue and many people have developed sensitivities to it. Next time, pay attention to how your body responds when you eat wheat. Most people say they have some sort of reaction, myself included.
 I enjoy whole wheat pasta once in a while, but I try to cut down on wheat consumption by using alternative grain products. Brown rice pasta is probably my fave. This time though, I used spelt pasta, which is also good. Spelt is actually a relative of wheat, but does not have the same effect as wheat does. It is not gluten-free.

1.While preparing pasta, mash avocado with a spoon in a bowl.
Note: This will require a little armwork. I prefer mashing to using a food processor because I personally like the texture that comes out this way better. The consistency I go for is a slightly smoother version of guacamole..
2.Mix in the lemon juice, lemon zest, basil, salt and pepper.
3. Mix in the pasta.
4. Enjoy!

                                       This dish is super easy and perfect for spring or summer..







                                      
Hope you try it and enjoy! Will post again soon about activities of late.
Till next time!
xo,
Ellie
                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment