Sunday, April 8, 2012

First Post:Easter Weekend~Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary

Hello all! Here's my first post in an attempt to launch this creative outlet that shall be my blog about veganism and the vegan lifestyle, food (to answer the question:what do vegans eat?) and wellness.

 I'll probably be posting more about eating out in NYC than about cooking, since that seems to be more of what I do lately-but who knows? Maybe that will change. Actually, I hope that will change! As far as the vegan lifestyle, specifically I will be writing about my vegan life here in NY, as an example of what it's like.



Okay, so here goes!

This fine Easter weekend, I kicked things off by meeting with Edgar at Pure Food and Wine for drinks, appetizers, and a chat. Edgar is a friend of mine who shares a love of French language and culture with me, as well as artistic endeavors. He is a writer who is opening up a French cafe soon in the East Village. He's aware that the East Village is basically a vegan mecca, and being that I'm the only vegan friend he has, he picked my brain for ways to add vegan choices to his menu. So. excited! Vegan French food?! Yes, please!

Sooo..what did we have at Pure Food and Wine, you ask? Or wait, maybe you're asking: "What is 'Pure Food and Wine' "? Well, it happens to be my personal fave restaurant in NY-and yes, it's a raw place! I had their Green Mango shake, made with mango, cucumber, coconut water (hello hydration!), lime and cilantro. Soooo good! We shared some oyster mushroom scallop appetizer that was also just great. Edgar was really impressed. Love this place. Wish I took pics! Drats.



On Saturday some of my girlfriends and I went to Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary to celebrate one of the girls' birthdays. Okay, so let's get into specifics here-what exactly is a "farm animal sanctuary"?  Well, it's a place run by a non-profit org that rescues and takes care of abused farm animals; ensuring that they lead happier, healthier lives. WFAS is a wonderful haven for animals, founded by Jenny Brown and Doug Abel. It was apparent to me the first time I visited the sanctuary that Jenny is so dedicated, passionate, and cares so much about these animals. Watching her interact with them was an inspiration.


 It seemed serendipitous to me that we ended up visiting this place right on Easter weekend. What a wonderful way to celebrate life!


After cuddling the animals, we headed into the cute town of Woodstock and ate at The Garden Cafe. Love this place! It's a wonderful vegan restaurant with a beautiful backyard, cozy interior and delicious food! We had their special, which was a "Garden Bowl" of red rice, greens, and tempeh with a tahini, scallion dressing on top.




Today ( Easter Sunday), I met with my good friend Michelle for brunch at one of my favorite spots: Sacred Chow. We had their Better than Biscuits & Gravy, composed of a tofu scramble, gravy, and steamed collard greens piled on top of a biscuit, served with salad. Yum! It was hard to tell where the tofu scramble ended and the biscuit began, and in a good way. We had that and mimosas. =)



After brunch, we stopped in Hamlet's Vintage and I bought a 1960's era dress to wear to a friend's upcoming 60's themed 30th birthday party. More details on that later!  We then took a stroll through Washington Square Park and the West Village to take in the beautiful spring day.



So that's it for today, folks! Hope you had a great Easter/Passover! My friend Carrie posted a status update on facebook that was something to meditate on for this occasion. She said, "Easter reminds us that every day is an opportunity to begin again.." How lovely.

 Have a great week, everyone! Be well.  =)
xo,
Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment