Thursday, May 31, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend: Champs Family Bakery~Veggie Pride Parade~And More!

Hey everyone! Hope ya'll had a great Memorial Day weekend! I stayed in NYC and it was a busy, sweaty and incredibly fun time, chock-full of vegan-y shenanigans!

Me, Sophia and my cousin Sam

On Saturday night I sang with my band Koshka at Parkside Lounge in the Lower East Side, and my cousin Sam celebrated his 27th birthday with us that night.

Earlier in the day I went to Champs Family Bakery (located in Williamsburg) and got a dozen Chocolate Ganache Cheesecake Brownies for his party. They were a big hit and so delicious!






Along with my cousin's friends, a lot of my friends showed up as well. It was a great crowd! The show and party was so much fun and it was so good to see everyone!

Some of my vegan friends went out together after the show, but I stayed to celebrate with my cousin and caught up with them later on for dancing at Lit in the East Village. We tore the dance floor up and had a blast!

On Sunday, I went to the Veggie Pride Parade. What a great time it was!



The parade was led by Prom King David Karopkin and Prom Queen Rachel Kay. So proud!!



Honey La Bronx, last year's Prom Queen, was there leading chants and walked the whole parade in her heels. She's my hero-err.. I mean, heroine!


The energy of the event overall was great. There were drummers and people in creative, fun costumes.



Afterwards, we settled into the Union Square area where there were groups tabling, giving out pamphlets with info and giving out food. There was a stage area where some amazing speakers took the platform, such as super-activist Mickey Z, Jasmin Singer from Our Hen House, and vegan podcast dude Derek Goodwin.

I didn't stay out very long, though to hear everyone speak, because I was under the sun for a while and was in need of replenishment-fast! So my friends Kristy, Michelle, Bud and I went to Jivamuktea Cafe.

I ordered (along with a supergreen salad) a Love smoothie-made with almond milk, medjool dates, banana and spirulina powder, and it hit the spot!


Kristy got the Taco Toast-with tomato, avocado, vegan sour cream, black beans, salt, pepper and topped with chimichurri.

Michelle got a Yogi's Choice with spicy tempeh, steamed kale, quinoa and a double order of their tumeric tahini dressing-with nutritional yeast on top!




On Sunday, I went to Champs Family Bakery again- and this time I stayed for brunch with friends!



Rachel and I got their Awesome Bowl, with quinoa, tofu scramble, sautéed greens, mixed bells, garlic rosemary potatoes-and sriracha on top!



Michelle ordered their Biscuits and Gravy. Only available on weekends, it's a dish of house-made biscuits, soysage, gravy with salad.




Among other awesome things we had was their Tofu Benedict- grilled tofu and ham, fresh spinach, multigrain english muffin, hollandaise served with garlic rosemary potatoes and salad. Didn't get a pic, but it's one of the best things they serve at Champs and I highly recommend it!



Me and my friends, post-brunch.



After brunch, some of the girls and I went to Roebling Tea Room for some champagne cocktails. 'Cause as Rachel said, "It's not Memorial Day til I have a drink!" 


I had a great afternoon just eating, drinking, hanging out and chatting with my friends!



Whew! I think that about covers my (vegan) Memorial Day Weekend!
Till next time, folks! Have a great weekend.
xo,
Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment