Friday, May 4, 2012

Smorgasburg!





Ah, Smorgasburg! ..
 ..The same folks that bring us Brooklyn Flea during the weekends here in this fine borough also bring us this food market every Saturday in Williamsburg. I stopped in a few weekends ago to sample their fare and snap a few pics. You may be wondering: Do they have vegan stuff? Oh, you betcha they do! Here are just a few treats I found that were my personal, notable faves:

Black and Blanco
The boyfriend-girlfriend duo behind Black and Blanco make absolutely delish sandcastles that are healthier than traditional cookies. They replace white flour with whole grain rye flour (wheat-free!), GMO-laden oil with extra virgin coconut oil, and refined sugar and salt with evaporated cane juice and sea salt. AND they use arrowroot-a thickening agent that is good for digestion.

Their sandies currently come in three flavors: Original with Black Sesame Seeds, Marzipan, and Maple-Dusted Cardamom with Pumpkin Seeds.

All are amazing.

Here is Steve (of Steve and Heidi). His other half was unable to make it.


I bought their marzipan cookies-Steve's personal fave. Soooo yum!


Barry's Tempeh

That's right! The only fresh tempeh in New York. Their product is hand-crafted, made with local, organic grains and beans. The tempeh is full-bodied and delicious.


I was unable to get a pic of their food (dang!), which is unfortunate 'cause their cole slaw is so colorfully appealing to look at!

Saucy by Nature

These folks make quinoa falafels with creative, delicious sauces-and everything is vegan.


Their sauce choices were Spicy Pumpkin Ginger, Cranberry Pear and Cilantro Lime. The server's fave was the Spicy Pumpkin, so I went with that-and it was soooo good!




Brooklyn Soda Works
I so appreciate Brooklyn Soda Works, with their refreshing sodas. They make the most imaginative flavors, like Cucumber Lime Sea Salt, and Watermelon Tarragon Lemon.

People's Pops
I absolutely love People's Pops! They use fresh, local fruits and herbs and constantly come out with new, different flavor combos that refresh on a hot summer day. I especially love their plum combos. Yummmmmm.



I also want to give a shout-out to Electric Blue Baking Co. Though this vegan company is often at Smorgasburg, they were not there this time-but they once served one of the best mac and cheese's of my life, vegan or not, with Chipotle Field Roast Sausages- and they deserve honorable mention.




Smorgasburg is located on the Williamsburg waterfront between North 6th and North 7th St., at the East River. They are there on Saturdays from 11am to 6pm.

Gosh, posting about all these goodies makes me wanna make another visit. Anyone wanna join me?

Have a great weekend!!
xo,
Ellie

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Smorgasburg! I can't wait until I can go this season. People's Pops are a major fave of mine, too. They have another location in Chelsea Market that's good for a Highline stroll. :) Love the blog, girl! Super awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hon!!
      Let's try to go together sometime.

      Delete