Friday, May 18, 2012

A Day in This Vegan Life...

Hey all! Today's post is about a random day in my life, as a vegan living in New York.
So let's start, and what better place to begin than breakfast?

A Quick Tartine for a Quick Breakfast:
On Wednesday I woke up late, feeling tired from recent excesses of drinking and socializing. So I made this tartine (aka open-faced sandwich) in a snap:
I spread some organic red pepper hummus from Yorgo's Foods on Ezekiel toast, then took two raw cauliflower florets and tore them with my hands into crumbly pieces, then tore some spinach leaves and sprinkled them on top with a squeeze of lemon and some cracked black pepper. An easy breakfast with no chopping!

I then headed off to work...Nothing remarkable to mention here (in terms of veganism), though I will have to post sometime about what I do for my midtown, midday lunches..

After work, I went to the Lower East Side to go to my show at Cakeshop with my band, Koshka. I hadn't eaten dinner yet and I was starving. Nearby Cakeshop is a spot called Tiengarden that I'd been meaning to try. So, I figured it was the perfect opportunity to go!

Dinner at Tiengarden:




I ordered the Stirfry Noodle dish, made with broccoli, carrot, cabbage, button mushrooms and veggie ham...

Now, this is not a health dish (though Tiengarden did have healthier choices on the menu), but if you want a flavorful Asian noodle fix, you can find it here. I washed it down with some oolong tea, Chinese style!

I also ordered their freshly made lemon coconut cupcake for dessert. They make their own desserts, and among the choices that night were mango tapioca pudding (with the tapoica just made, still warm), chocolate cake, cookies, and a banana walnut cupcake.


I would definitely come back. The service was very nice and they have root beer and ginger ale floats made with soy ice cream that I'd like to try next time!

After din, I dashed off to Cakeshop for the show..

I saw this sign just outside the door..Drinks, music, and vegan cake?! This is my kind of place!


Here is their cake display, right near the entrance. They also offer tea and other beverages to go with your treats.

The show was really great, and it was so good to see my friends! After the show I hung out a bit with Michelle and my cousin Sam, who enjoyed some cake with his friends. I managed to have a bite of what little was left by the time I sat down with him, and it was delish!



Me and Michelle after the show..

Me and my cousin Sam.



So that's all for now! I will be posting again soon about some other spots I've been to in the last few weeks, and about Veggie Prom, which is happening tonight!
xo,
Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment