Sunday, October 7, 2012

Labor Day Weekend~Farm Sanctuary

Hey everyone! Yes, that's me getting my stomach licked by a cow at Farm Sanctuary. He was an eager little fella! I spent my Labor Day Weekend there with David, Sophia and Shaliga. It was my first visit!

But let me backtrack, and start from the beginning: We began our weekend by rallying at Sophia's place, and having some of her famous pancakes before hitting the road. She made blueberry ones. As usual, they were amazing!



On our first night, we went to a vineyard in the area and enjoyed their event that had live music and fireworks. Yes, I was dancing to retro 50's tunes with the older folks!


The next day, we met the animals at Farm Sanctuary...
The pigs look so happy when they sleep! And some of them are HUGE! They love to get their bellies rubbed...

Turkey lurkey! I caught a candid of this gal mid-gobble.
 
This is Antoinette. She's a unique girl, because she's the only one at the sanctuary who likes to be massaged. See? She's spreading herself out, getting comfy for some more rubbing!
 
Piglets!
 
 

Hello, beautiful!
 
This guy was my favorite of all the animals in the sanctuary. I loved his eyes, and his energy. As Shaliga said, sheeps are so chill. She liked hanging with them, too.
 

 
 
At the gift shop (where they give out free vegan ice cream!).
The tee-shirt says 'Factory Farming Hurts Everyone'.
 
One of the adorable cats at the sanctuary, dozing on a haystack.
 
We later hiked in Watkins Glen State Park, then had dinner at Stonecat Cafe. The food there was amazing! And their wine selection was great, too.
 
We started our meal sharing their Olivada appetizer-olive tapenade with slices of fresh foccacia bread. It was delicious! For dinner, we had their Smoked Maple Cured Tofu, and it was amazing! Highly recommended...
 

For breakfast, we had bagels, pastries, oatmeal and fruit that is offered to guests at Farm Sanctuary. One of the things I loved was the raisin oat bars from their local spot, Glen Mountain Bakery & Market.
 
Glen Market was our go-to for lunch. They have great seitan sandwiches, but I got their Jackson's Revenge-housemade tofu burger with lettuce, tomato, sprouts, mustard and toast...
 
My friends got the Healthy Hoagie (made with flavored seitan, bacon mushroom, and sundried tomato...
 
And the Sanctuary Special (seitan, l.t.s., olive oil and vinegar, spicy mustard, on a fresh baguette).
 
 
 
 
We spent one day in Ithaca. We swam and hiked a gorgeous trail at Robert H.Treman State Park.
 But before that, we ate lunch at Viva Taqueria. We had tacos and burritos there vegan-style. The staff was so friendly!
 
After our hike, we were ravenous! So back to the town of Ithaca we went! We grabbed some Mediterranean eats at Aladdin's...
 
A huge Babaganoush Pita that Sophia ordered!
 
I ordered their Veggie Combo-I chose their babaganoush,hummus, taboulee salad, and sauteed spinach with whole wheat pita. And I ate it all!
 
We then went to Purity to top off our evening with some ice cream..
They carry delicious vegan ice cream from Chicago Soy. We got their Cookie Dough. It was delish! 


Whew! I think that about covers all the things we enjoyed during our trip! I leave you all now with  some pics from our hiking excursions-and Lake Seneca! Enjoy!
At Robert Treman State Park

Swimming at Robert Treman. The water was so cold!

With all the peeps on our hike.

Lake Seneca

Watkins Glen State Park

xo,
Ellie
 

5 comments:

  1. I loved Farm Sanctuary! I can't wait to go back one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea, it's so beautiful and awesome out there! i see you're from brighton and are often in london? i'm actually planning to move to london for a bit in the near future. maybe i can hit you up for tips on where to go/what to do out there? nice blog, by the way! =)

      Delete
  2. I'm sad I've never been to any of the farm sanctuaries! Also, that sandwich with the sprouts looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic post - it sounds like you had an awesome time! I'm actually heading to the Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen in two weeks (so exciting!), so this is the prefect guide for me. Thanks!

    PS I love that picture of the cow licking you; so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad my post will serve as a guide to you! Have a wonderful time! And DEF hit up Stonecat Cafe, and hike in Robert Treman State Park! =)

      Delete