Monday, October 15, 2012

Thanksliving at Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary

Hey everyone! Hope you are having a lovely October. We are mid-month already!

Yesterday was Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary's yearly event Thanksliving, and I had the pleasure of participating as a volunteer. What is Thanksliving? It's an awesome benefit for the sanctuary, where "the turkeys are the guest of honor instead of the main course". Bud, Sophia and I woke up early on Sunday and drove out there for the day. We hit the road at about 6am. Needless to say, I slept in the car ride there. I awoke to Bud calling out, "Ellie!". Once I popped my head up, I didn't need to ask why he called my name. The foliage up there was stunning! I was so glad I woke in time to catch the beautiful fall views on that beautiful fall morning drive...


We arrived at the sanctuary at about 9am. It was a lovely, peaceful scene. Some fog, fall colors, and animals wandering about..



The event was held inside a tent, with a live band. I took a picture of the space before the guests arrived.
 
There were lots of items on display, up for sale, for raffle prizes, and up for auction-including a Vitamix I wish I could afford! 
 
 
In the back tent area..
Blossom donated their awesome Cape Codcakes and Black-Eyed Pea Cakes for the event.
 
 
Black-Eyed Pea Cakes
 
 
Ella from The Regal Vegan was there, and we served up some of her amazing products on crostini.
 
 Some Faux Gras, by The Regal Vegan, with a blueberry compote on top.
 

 
 
Some Basilicotta (made with cashews, basil, lemon juice, Himalayan pink salt-and that's it!) on crostini, with sun-dried tomato on top. Amazing!
 
These folks, from Treeline Treenut Cheese, brought their ridiculously awesome nut-based cheeses for the guests to be served with bread and crackers. They flew off the plates!
 

 
 
 
 
 Look at this guy!
 
 As part of the event, a spread of food is served to the resident turkeys. They feasted on pumpkin pie, cranberries, acorn squash and some salad...

Her face was covered with food! A whole new meaning was given to the phrase "stuffing"!
 
 
The dinner started with some Pumpkin Pie Soup...
 
 The salad...
 
Kale, Collard, and Napa Cabbage Salad with Carrots,Toasted Pumpkin Seeds and Raisins, tossed in a Pomegranate Vinaigrette
 
The plate: Beyond Meat's Veggie Chicken Strips braised in a stock with white wine, whole garlic and herbs with an amazing sage and rosemary gravy~Cornbread Stuffing with Pecans and Figs (they also had a gluten-free option:a quinoa version)~Cranberry Compote
 
Jenny Brown (founder of WFAS), taking the stage.
 
Dessert was served by Vegan Treats...
 
These never made it out front. The volunteers had the pleasure of also enjoying some Sticky Cinnamon Rolls...
 
And doughnuts. All from Vegan Treats. The ones up top, filled with boston creme, were insane!!
 
....And that about covers my Thanksliving of 2012! My very first Thanksliving. I had a great time. It may have been my best visit yet to WFAS. I will definitely volunteer again next year-that is, if I'm still in New York by then. You never know!
 
 
Till next time!
xoxo,
Ellie
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I miss the Hudson Valley! You're killin' me with this post -- so much amazing-looking food in such a wonderful place. Thanks for going, and for sharing with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a pleasure, Claryn! By the way, I just checked out your blog-love it!! I think I'm going to have to make that smoked sweet potato home fry dish soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that seemed wonderful! I would love to go myself :)

    ReplyDelete