Monday, October 8, 2012

'Treat-Myself' French Toast from Bliss Cafe~Watermelon Frosty/Watermelon Basil Smoothie

When you're feeling down, what do you do? There was a particular day earlier, in the summer, when I was feeling sad. So I did what I could to take care of myself. I talked with close friends who were there for me, and I treated myself to foods I liked. That meant I allowed myself to indulge a bit in the sweet stuff!

I walked over to Bliss Cafe on Bedford Ave. for their Vegan French Toast. Now, Bliss is, as friends of mine have called it, a bit old school with their vegan fare- but I can rely on them for healthy eats, and the place is cozy. And their french toast is awesome.

Bliss generally serves whole wheat bread, but if you ask, they can alternatively give you spelt bread. That's what I went for. They also give you the option of having some maple whip with your toast. Since I was in the mood for some decadence, when they asked if I wanted some I replied, "Yes, please!"

Their maple syrup and maple whip
 
 
Back at home, I made myself a watermelon frosty and enjoyed it on my fire escape.
 
I followed this video's recipe, posted on one of my favorite blogs: Watermelon Frosty Video
 
 
The ingredients are very simple. Just some banana, lemon/lime, frozen watermelon, and maple syrup. Watermelon is currently still in the farmer's markets, so grab them while you can! And enjoy them on a lingering warm day while we transition into fall. My friend Bud and I actually made
our own version of this recipe recently, a Watermelon Basil Smoothie-with basil from his garden, and it came out fantastic!! I highly recommend making one of these for yourself. It's a real treat.
 
Here are the ingredients we used:
 
Watermelon
Handful of Basil
Banana
Lemon Juice
Ice
 
No agave/maple syrup/sugar necessary. A bit of banana (not too much) adds a nice sweetness, and it's all you need. I hope you will try the smoothie. I guarantee you wouldn't regret it!
 
xoxo,
Ellie
 
 

1 comment:

  1. That is an awesome smoothie idea....I like the addition of lemon/lime juice.

    ReplyDelete